Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sunday- 1st Full Day Home... Part One of the Story


Well I am back. I DID IT

Honestly the surgery was not too hard at all. It took 5 hours and then 3 more in recovery. I was walking though 45 min after reaching my room. I knew it was important so I wanted to be a good patient.

As most of you know I did NOT tell my husband about the gastric bypass part. I knew I would at some point but didn't know exactly when. When I arrived at the hospital he was parking the car so I told the nurse it was a secret so she put a note in my file. This worked perfectly, as far as he knew I was only having out my gallbladder.

The anesthesiologist however did not look at my file before coming to talk to me. Uh OH. He goes through his usual routine asking my name, birthday and reason for surgery. I said I was there for a R U N Y Lapriscopic Gallbladder. RUNY (spelt different) is the formal name for the gastric bypass. Well he didn't know about the gallbladder so said you are having a bypass and gallbladder? I kept emphisizing the gallbladder part and he was confused so went to look at my file. You should have seen the paniced look his face made. He came back and said confirmed the gallbladder, LOL. Gary was a little confused about the conversation but he thought the guy just made a mistake. Whew. He later apologized after Gary went to the waiting room. I told him it was all good.

My next fear was the DR would say something when he told Gary I was in recovery but apparently he got the memo, lol.

The next fear came when my mother in law said are you sure she didn't have that bypass thing and not her gallbladder out. He said NO her gallbladder was full of stones (and it was). Whew hurdle three cleared.

Have I told him yet??? Well you'll have to wait until tomorrow when I continue the story.

The only sad sad part is I came home from the hospital and I have gained, YES GAINED, almost 15 pounds. Now I knew to expect this, due to the saline they pumped me up with and stuff, but geez 15 pounds and I haven't eaten since Monday. YIKES

BUT I am doing good, feeling great and positive and ready for this new journey in my life.
I'll see you all sometime tomorrow.

AK

20 comments:

leah said...

Wow! what a big secret to keep! I will be keeping tuned in for part 2. I'm so glad to hear you are doing well....that is an answer to prayer! I'm sure those 15 pounds will go away quickly once you get up and moving!

a Knitting Junkie! said...

That is a big secret. I can't wait to hear part 2! Congratulations hun on the surgery. I looked into it myself, but because of the cost I am unable to do it at this time. I am so happy that things went well and I look forward to keeping up to date with how your new journey continues to go.
((hugs))
Anita

Marti said...

Kathy,
I am glad everything went well. Water weight should come right off in no time.

teabird said...

Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Glad things went well, AK and that you're home! I didn't know you hadn't told Gary. Wow... I'll keep you in prayer. My husband would be PIZZED big-time if I kept a secret like that, LOL! Love and hugs!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well they pumped you up with gas too! Hope all is well and get some rest! Glad you have made it home! And are you watching the race? Swade

Katie O said...

Glad to see you back posting again!!! YEA! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!! eeekkk

sailorcross said...

Welcome home!!!

I'm so glad you're doing well and able to keep that secret--despite some attempts from others to spill it!!

Those 15 pounds will be gone in no time--you can expect numerous trips to the bathroom to get rid of all that fluid!!

Congratulations--you're doing so well!!

Love you,

Beth

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness That's some secret! Hope you aren't too sore at the moment!

hakucho said...

So glad you are back and all went well. Rest and recover....take good care of yourself!! That's a huge secret to keep. Sure hope he is understanding ;)

Unknown said...

Kathy,

I know when my friend had it done, her husband had to attend meetings with her as part of the "support" piece. The stupid thing with that was that her hubby had alzheimers and didn't know what was going on anyway. By the way, she ended up having to have her gall bladder removed about six months after the initial surgery. When they did the surgery she hadn't been having any gall bladder problems but her doc said that in retrospect they should have removed it while they were in there.

I would have the surgery in a minute but my insurance won't cover it.

I am glad everything went well and hope you have a full recovery.

Anonymous said...

Hi AK!!

So glad you're home, and ready to start the next chapter of your life.

I will keep checking to see how you're doing.

Take care!
Sue form the States thread

Maria said...

Hi Kathy! Hope you are feeling better soon!! You took the initial step! Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you!! What a secret!! I don't think I could keep quiet about it!!

Claudia said...

I'm just so grateful that you're feeling well. My doctor suggested the surgery to me but I'm too terrified. So I will live vicariously through you.

Can't wait for part 2! :)

Mary Ann said...

Kathy, I'm so happy that everything went well for you. What a secret for you to have! I can't wait until part 2!

Don't overdo, and that 15 pounds will come out in the bathroom! LOl

Unknown said...

So happy to hear you are home an doing well. Can't wait to read part 2. Hopefully your hubby knows about the bypass by now and all is well with him and he is accepting of it. NOt much he can do about it now is there? lol
Hugs to you
Patt

Anonymous said...

Yay hay!! The weight gain is temperarily, and you are on your way to sucess!!!! God bless!!

Twocans

Jane said...

Oh Wow - I didn't know you were keeping it a secret from your husband - obviously he doesn't read your blog! Well - I can understand that - my DH doesn't even know what a blog is.
I'll be waiting anxiously for Part 2 of this story!

smariek said...

It's good to hear you're back home again and feeling well. Take care of yourself.

Need Something to Read??? Say GimpyKatK sent you.

Blog Archive

Create In Me