Friday, February 27, 2009

Friday- Contest Day #27- Frogs, Food and the Finale

Well I'll start off with what I frogged this week. I was so sick I couldn't knit but I found this long lost dishcloth I started for Christmas not even sure where in the pattern I left off so I decided to just rip-rip-rip And now I am left with a rather lumpy cone of Christmas cotton. LOL Friday's CONTEST Question-
~
Well I was visiting Monicas blog tonight and she asked a question, about buying a pattern, or a booklet of patterns or do you tend to just stick with the freebies. So I thought I'd follow her lead and ask the same question, will you buy a pattern if you like it or do you stick with the freebies? Answer the question in the comment section to secure an entry for today in the February contest, and if you go to Monica's blog and let her know as well I'll give you two entries for today. I am feeling generous since my fever broke. Make sure to leave a second comment sayinng you went to Monica's blog so you get that extra entry.
~
So yes my fever broke, I am feeling better still weak and achy and tired but better for sure. In fact I woke up hungry. I even ate twice today. I have recently had a few people ask about my eating. They seem to think that after the surgery I can only eat a tablespoon of food. Nope not true. Really solid food is limited, but slider foods (foods that digest easily) you can eat more. So I thought for fun I'd show you my food for the day today.

BREAKFAST/BRUNCH

This is 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese (14grams of protein) and 6oz of pineapple upside down cake yogurt (6 grams of protein) I TBS of grape nuts (1 gram of protein ) and 1/2 cup of watermelon and canteloupe chunks. No protein in those but they help when you can't have any liquids when you eat. LOL
~
DINNER

This is another 1/2 cup of melon chunks and a Lean Cuisine Frozen Dinner (24 grams of protein), one of my favorites. It's Stuffed Cabbage and a small side of mashed potatoes. As you can see I added some of the tomato base to the potatoes and cut up the cabbage pretty small, that's a MUST for me. The picture doesn't do it justice, it's DELICIOUS. It looks like a lot of food to me but I use Adams small bowls so it's deceiving. But it's plenty of food, don't you think? Not good enough according to the DR's though, I am supposed to have 60 grams of protein minimum each day, so before I go to bed tonight I'll have a protein drink for another 15 grams giving me a total of 60. That's a good day if you ask me.

~
Now for the Finale... I went to the mailbox this afternoon and there was an envelope waiting for me there. I forgot I had won a prize on the WhoDuKnit Yahoo group, I was the 555th post on the blog, and this is what I got. Now I could have chosen my own gift but as usual I procrastionated and Jane did the picking for me. Well she knows me so well.
~
I got a booklet with MANY wonderful cross stitch designs in it. I am in love with many of them already. Oh I need more time in the day. Two wonderful note cards with these plastic bottles on them, she sent me one of these card and I saved it cause I loved the bottle and I never told her, but see, she knows me. And then she made me a Book Thong... Ok I have to admit I am not sure what a book thong is. I mean really I hear thong and my mind goes in a totally different direction. Maybe I can blame that on the flu? LOL

So there you go, that is the re-cap of my day. Still no KNITTING but I intend on changing that tomorrow. Adam is still awake and wanting some of that fruit he just saw me post here, so I gotta go. Have a great night, sweet dreams and make sure to come back tomorrow, it's the last day to enter, SUNDAY... I announce the grand prize winner and the follower winner. Hope you remembered to follow.
~
AK

21 comments:

Turtle said...

cute book!! i will buy a pattern as well as use the free ones but i am a bit of a tightwad and usually keep the pattern to under ten dollars. enjoy your weekend!

ACraftyKnitter said...

I don't like to buy a pattern I haven't been able to read through to make sure it's something I want to do. I'll buy books of patterns sometimes, if I've looked through them in a bookstore. However, I mostly stick to free single patterns.

SimplyMe said...

That's PERFECT for you!!!!!! Awesome.

I used to do freebies only, but SLOWLY I'm starting to buy them a pattern at a time.

Renna said...

It's good to hear that you are feeling better. :-)

Since you asked the same question as Monica, I'll copy here what I commented there.

I used to only get the freebie patterns on the net, but then I discovered recently that some designers do sell individual pattern pdf downloads. I’ve bought two in the last couple of weeks (which is a lot for someone on my tight budget!). I love purchasing pdf downloads. When I see a pattern I want to make, I want to start it right then. Nothing impatient about me! ;-Þ

Also, I rarely see more than one or two patterns I really want to knit when I look at knitting books or booklets. I’d definitely prefer to buy individual patterns. That said, I do have some knitting books, as well.

Wendy said...

I go for the freebies, only because I cannot afford to buy...I did buy the Top-sy Turvy book, with some of my earnings...Otherwise I just look and dream...

Renna said...

Oh, yeah; and I did visit Monica's blog, and left a comment for her. :-)

Penny said...

I will buy a pattern if it is something I like and unfortunatly for my wallet I do it too frequently. I am NOT predjudiced on patterns being FREE or NOT. If I like it I like it.
Penny

Faith said...

Awww, I'm glad you had a bright spot in your day after being so sick. Hope you continue to feel better and stronger!

Penny said...

I posted on Monica's blog also.
Penny

Anonymous said...

Can I just say how flattered I am that you used the same question? And that means I'll have tons more responses to go off of! Thanks so much Kathy. ((HUGS))

And 2... all that fresh fruit looks delicious! I totally want pineapple and melon now! yumyumyum

Glad to hear you're on the mend too!

sailorcross said...

Whoa--your meals look much more appetizing than what I prepared last night!! Guess that says something about my cooking--or noncooking!!

Anyway--I very rarely buy a pattern, but I do occasionally if it is one that I can't find and alter somehow to be exactly what I want.

Congratulations on your win!! Cross-stitch--now I have all kinds of projects waiting on me from cross-stitch!! Maybe I need to alternate back and forth between crafts?? I do have this huge wall that I was thinking of doing in all pictures that I made--am I crazy??

And yes--the dishcloth is self striping yarn--did all the work of the color changes all by itself!! Cara will love this one--now to make one to mail to Lindsay!!

I've missed you!!

Beth

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

I am glad your fever broke! :)

As for the patterns... I usually stick with the FREE patterns lol... I'm a college student and don't really have extra money to spend on patterns... although on Ravelry, I queue patterns that i like that cost money hoping that one day i can purchase them and make them :)

Sidenote: I left a comment on Monica's blog as well! :)

Unknown said...

Hey your diet looks good. And our portion sizes are way out of control. That's plenty of food, LOL.

As for patterns, I have bought a few. But I tend to look for the free ones first. And then I look at the price. If the pattern costs too much, I will happily bypass it. I saw a pattern for a basic knit hat and they wanted around $6 or something crazy. I could just knit the hat by looking at it, LOL.

Hope you have a great day. I'm glad your fever finally broke.

Knitnut,Karen said...

I'm glad your fever broke! Hope you start feeling up to snuff soon.
I use alot of freebies. Just because I'm trying to challenge myself to do different types of knitting and I don't want to pay for a pattern I might not be able to do.

Unknown said...

Left a comment on Monica's blog!

Grace said...

I will do both, I do collect more free ones, but every now and then I have to buy that to die for pattern, like the Rambling Rows Afghan off to post on Monica's!

Robynn's Ravings said...

Hope winning a $50 gift card to Amazon.com makes you feel better, girlfriend! Drop on by and see!

Contact me with your mailing info at:

robynnsravings at gmail dot com

Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Nice prize!!! I'm joining you in the ranks of sick...

Hugs!!!

Jane said...

Wow - I just read Robynn's comment - congratulations! I'm glad you like your whoduknit prize and hope you can adapt those patterns to your dishcloths. Or do you do cross stitch too?
Oh, right - the questions of the day. I used to buy patterns on line, but lately I have found that I can find just about anything I am looking for for free. If I found something that I really liked I would buy it.

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

Congrats on winning the $50 amazon gift card!! That should really make you feel better!! :D ... I just saw that in her blog and thought i'd stop by yours and congratulate you!! :D

Unknown said...

That does seem like some delicious food you got there. I should be eating just like you cuz I don't do anything all day. I am proud of you for taking that last protein drink before bed. Your body needs it for sure.
Hugs Patt

Need Something to Read??? Say GimpyKatK sent you.

Blog Archive

Create In Me