Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sunday- Memories

If you read this, if your eyes are passing over this right now, even if we don't speak often, please post a comment with a memory of you and me. It can be anything you want -- good or bad. When you're finished, you might want post this little paragraph on your blog and be surprised (or mortified) about what people remember about you.
******************************************************************************

Speaking of memories, It's Fathers Day and I'd like to share a few memories abut my Dad.

My dad, Jim, was the only son out of 4 children. He grew up with a love of Elvis, music and movies. My dad shared those loves and interests with me too.

I remember my dad getting excited over holidays, especially Halloween. Back in the day it was not an evil holiday like it seems to be now. He would make spooky tapes to play when the door bell rang and really put on a show for the trick or treaters.

On Christmas he would sing to us (me, my sisters and my cousins... we were all girls) Usually "Blue Christmas" Elvis style and we would swoon and ahh as he sang, it was so much fun.

I will never forget him picking each one of us up by our ears. We would stand in a line and wait our turn, he would cup our ears, really just covering our ears, we would wrap our hands on his arms and he would lift us up to the ceiling. Giggling away we'd hurry back in line for another turn. Those were good times.

Then there were the movies. Often my dad would take us girls to a local theater that showed old movies, musicals mostly. I remember watching Oliver, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and many many more. Always a tradition in our house to watch Funny Girl (my favorite movie of all times by the way) and Wizard of Oz every year. We also often went to the drive in's and my dad loved to scare us girls. I remember watching Carrie at the drive in and when that hand came out of the ground at the end, well let's just say we were scared to death that night. One time we went to the indoor theater and we saw Jaws, my dad knew something was gonna happen because of the music and he was sitting behind me and my sister and just when the scary part happened he touched our shoulders and we jumped so high our popcorn went flying and so did we, a whole row forward, lol. I didn't have any brothers, unless you count OSCAR lol, yep the Academy awards was a never miss, in fact I still watch them now. Yeah good times.

My dad looks like a cross between Burt Reynolds and Tom Selleck and if you ask me is more handsome then any of them put together. He was a Deputy Marshall, and a dad in uniform always makes a daughter proud. He was a law student, a postman, a security guard, private investigator and a tax preparer, but above all these things he is my Daddy, my teacher, my mentor, my example.

Oh yeah there were times when I was disciplined, when I thought my dad was mean, but hey that's all part of growing up. I wouldn't trade my dad in for anything. He probably won't ever read this but I wanted to tell him anyway.

Daddy I love you and Happy Fathers day


My Dad, me, Trish (new wife), Dayna (my sister) and Hannah (my niece)



Daddy, Trish and Adam at 1 month old

3 comments:

Katie O said...

I got to spend a few wonderful days with you and your family. I watched some hockey, wrestled a bit with the kids and put back together a horse that was accidently destroyed by Dayna!!!! LOL!! That was so funny!!!! LOL... makes me laugh out now!!! ha ha ha... Great times!

Mary Ann said...

What a wonderful tribute to your dad!

I got to talk on the phone with you for at least 2 hours. It was wonderful getting to know you that day! I feel like we are friends now.

Anonymous said...

I know I"m late in getting here... but I wanted to post how wonderful a friend you've been to me... checking up on me when I 'disappear' for a bit, and just being so positive and friendly! I hope one day we can meet in person.. and I totally agree that your dad is a cross between burt and and Tom!

Need Something to Read??? Say GimpyKatK sent you.

Blog Archive

Create In Me